30.1.05

tale of 2 shows

oh dear. jamie and cecila, i think you both have slightly romantic notions of what a costume designer does. i would love to do nothing but sew frilly costumes to exact specifications for the rest of my life. unfortunatly, that won't work with this particular show. it takes place in 2002, and the characters are two 60 year old undertakers in south carolina, one black, one white, and their wives and their grown children. not alot of frills. just alot of lapels. i think i'll be making about 2 of the costumes. almost everything is going to be bought. hence all the shopping. it's not very exctiting, but it's how it goes. jessie, another work aid in the costume shop, is desiging brecht's three penny opera which is 3 weeks after my show. everyone has all their shit together in her show, so she seems to always be in the same place as me, if not a few steps ahead. all of her actors were measured before mine, she started pulling costumes first, etc etc. she has enourmous victorian things in vibrant colors. much more costumey costumes (we have a section in the costume shop called that- ice capades and costumey costumes) it seems that everyone in her show is either a whore or a prostitute, and that's how she's sorting her costumes. it's very different from my half of the dressing room, where my undertaker's suits are hanging!

so talking about shopping-
g and i went down 53rd st yesterday, looking for stuff for my show. it was pretty unsuccessful. we did stop in mystique boutique, but it was all too fancy or expensive. i couldn't really get into it. it's saturday, i wanted to shop for myself. we stopped in the newly reopened hyde park records i always liked 2nd hand tunes better than the unorganized pounding dr. wax, and when it closed, i was sad. how was i to know how awesome it would be reopened? rock on! horray for small buisnesses! g and i totally went for it after that. we hit all of my feel good people caring new buisnesses. she borrowed joes car and we went up north. first to american apparel, which i think may become my new favourite clothing store. i'm going back to basics. i'll be spending more money than ragstock or h&m, but i'll feel good within my soul, and i will have the world's softest cotton aagainst my skin. it's time for me to get back to basics! solid color jersey knit whoo hoo! i bought a bright magenta long sleeved superlightweight tee, and a turqoise skirt with a ruffle at the bottom. they are bright and simple and cute. and then we went tolush, another store that's been haunting me lately. (amy gave me an american apparel catolog, then i read an article in the newspaper on it, and lush. then when i got to germany ruth had hair goo she gave me, and it was from lush uk.) g adored all the coloured bath bombs in lush the same way i coveted the jersey of american apparel. they were both beautiful stores that care passionately about what they do. all in all i spent too much money and came home content with my purchases and happy to live in a big city.

No comments: