12.5.08

on vegetables

I planted the mother's day idea in jr's head a couple of weeks ago, so he could be mulling it to appropriately celebrate. Somehow he came into the posession of $42 and decided he wanted to spend it on taking his mom and I out to lunch, at his favorite restaurant, this terrible diner called the hollywood grill. after that, we did the very mother's day appropriate task of going garden shopping! Deb had seen some good deals at the jewel (4" terracotta pots for .69!) so she took me there and I bought most everything. I picked up a couple of trailing things at gethsemane, but they didn't have my tomatoes yet. I'll go back in two weeks.

I'll be posting pictures soon, i promise. sometime this week. for my round planters, i have one in cool colors with a tall purple delphinium thing, aggeratum, purple petunias, and blue moon lobellia. the other one is warm colors, celosia, maragolds, sweet potato vine and collus. I bought a hanging basket of wave petunias, my fave lantana and some little red flower. and i made a hanging herb garden with chammomile, sage, pineapple mint, oregano and lavender. In the long boxes i have 2 basils, peppermint, cauliflower, broccoli and brusselssprouts. I have room for tomatoes. Last year I was so happy with my windowbox variety i want to get them again this year, but they aren't out yet. so I'll get them when my mom's in town next week.

After calling my mom, & grandma, i made dinner. I had parsnips to use from the veggie share, and so i got inspired. D has this delightful habit of making breakfast on the weekends, but she has a slightly frustrating habit of making enough for a family of five. i've had these biscuts in my freezer for a while, and didn't really know when to eat them. SO, i made a root vegetable pot pie with the biscuts on top, and it was the yummiest thing ever! i'm so proud of inventing the recipie myself, so i posted it on allrecipes.com. i'll post a link as soon as it's up after being aproved!

No comments: