15.3.06

out of it

don't know why i can't seem to participate in life these days. i think it's just cause i haven't been getting enough sleep. have been living in novels- just finished michelle tea's rose of no man's land. i enjoyed most of it, but she's just too bad for me- michelle tea makes me feel nervous and uncomfortable in the face of drugs and sex and tattoos. i guess i'm a different sort of rebel. after work yesterday i stopped by chicago tattoo and piercing co, though, to pick up my earring. my piercing is still too sore to put it in, though- i don't think wearing the earmuffs helps. after school today i went to women and children first bookstore, and spent even more money. but it's ok if i'm mailing 3/4 of it to other people, right? i love buying books. i love it so much i feel like it's a bad thing. everytime i go to w&cf i spend what seems like a ghastly amount of money. and i'll never let myself buy more than one book for myself. but what one will that be? it's always agonizing. got a new book in the mail from a on monday- truely delightful! i love a good package (g and z, listen up! you SO owe me!) & this one was delightful- book (natalie goldberg- anyone else read?) chocolate and mix cd, littered with little lewd post-it-notes. now that rose is done i should be starting that, but i bought francesca lia block's girl goddess #9. cause let's face it, i can't leave w&cf without a FLB book. (dang- i should have bought a copy of marijane satrapi's persepolis while i was there- i can't give that book to enough people!) so i decided instead of making dinner tonight, i'd just read my fave short story dragons in manhattan and eat cup-o-soup. so that's why i feel so out of it...

also, it was amazingly, disturbingly, scary fierce windy on monday. and of course, i'm tromping around the south loop with that enormous sail of a portfolio case. i kept making the joke, if only i had my rollerblades i could be windsurfing. but really, i was glad to have my big heavy bag o books, because it kept me weighted down, and you know i hate being lifted off my feet by the wind. how does this relate to the prior paragraph? just wait and see. so when i came into work yesterday morning, ch said he'd have to leave early, because the wind knocked the transom window out above his back door. they were coming to fix it (plywood it up, so ghetto) yesterday afternoon, and he wanted to be there. so i was alone at the shop in the afternoon, and there were no customers, so i was doing new customer letters. they say, "thanks for ordering with rosexpressions! we hope your


was fabulous!" or something like that. and in the big blank space we rubber stamp in "f-l-o-r-a-l e-x-p-e-r-e-i-e-n-c-e" with little flowers on the ends. we used to hand write it and draw little flowers and color them in, but that got to be too tedious and time consuming. now with the stamps it's just brain numbing. so that's the connection- another example of how i've been out of it the past few days- the meditative zen of rubber stamping.

so classes= the mizery of colaborative seminar mixed with the joy of costume construction 2 today. my dress is basically put together, and i had tom fit it on me today. i started sewing lace on- it's very exciting! and today was my last day of classes before spring break! not really a "break" for me, but no classes next week, and i'll have an extra day off. i can add it to this weekend or next weekend, too, so then it will practically be a vacation. think i should spend it with you? compel me with your comments- maybe i'll come visit you! although my post v-day richness is starting to wear off thanks to my after-work spending the past 2 days.

No comments: