24.7.08

creepy calls

I knew I would have to deal with this couple eventually, but I didn't expect it to be as wierd as it is. It's an Indian couple, they've emailed mom before, they want another scan to determine the sex of the baby... so they can terminate the pregnancy. Mom of course won't do such things, but this lady's husband called me today to try and set up an appointment over the phone. Everything's just wrong about it- he was asking strange questions (and NO ONE'S husband calls. people's moms call sometime, but no one's HUSBAND sets up an appointment for her). And I'm usually business like and cheeful and think everyone should get a chance to bond with their fetus. But they weren't really interested in that. I just got the feeling they weren't worried about buying pink or blue stuff. I told him he had to bring in information to the office, I couldn't make the appointment over the phone.

He really made me feel slimy. Mom's husband had the same reaction when he dealt with them last week, but it really does make me, too, feel all conservative and racially profiling and stuff. I mean, he never SAID that's who he was. But it just felt odd- I didn't want to talk to him or set anything up. Really, I think abortion is a mandatory right that all women should have- but I get the feeling that it's HIM, and I don't think men should have the right to choose abortions. And I think the Feminism against gender selection wins out so hard over the Feminism for abortion.

No comments: