19.11.08

working life

So work's been pretty good for me recently. Y'all know i was trying to leave curtains r us and i was short on flowershop days, so I was searching the craigslist. I figured the time had come to put that bookkeeping interest to work (because who doesn't want a carreer that includes three double letters in a row?) but obviously my resume isn't up to snuff for THAT sort of work. so I got all sorts of great advice (thanks liz! thanks sarah!) and started to work on it, but there were actual SEWING jobs posted, so i figured i might as well send the resume i already have out to them. And lo and behold, i got them both.

The second, which I adore, you already know about. it's for the costume designer who makes the mascots. I'll be sewing video game warrior costumes for a convention- and industry convention, not like comicon but, like, where the video game people pitch their games to the stores or whatever. I'm working on dark warrior and tram is doing the snow queen. i think the psudonym here will be mini muppets.

the other, which i've been at for a couple of weeks now, i'm still not convinced about. it's a DIY sort of company that makes guitar straps, camera straps, dog collars, etc. it sorta sucks because it's a bad combination of expecting perfect quality, lightning speed, and paying a pittance (which i have to save my own taxes from). But i really like the work, and my co-workers, so we'll see. It's enough to live on (they hit my minimum requirement) and so it will be worth it to me if i get straighter and faster.

so with such jobs, it's looking like germany for xmas is not an option. too many retail-based jobs. plus, i didn't manage to get out of debt yet. (instead, i bought my violin.) this makes me sad. maybe in january, before valentine's day. anyone have any good ideas on what i should do for xmas? alone in chicago doesn't sound fun, and i think it's too long to spend with my religous grandparents. i wish europe wasn't so far away and i could go for the weekend. i'm going to mom's for thanksgiving, so we'll see how that goes. i'll probably be over it and not ready to go back for xmas.

on the upside, i'm now a proud owner of a violin!

No comments: