15.4.08

body piercing saved my life

wish i had time to give a review of this book, or at least tell you how it rocked my world, but i don't. i'll just say it was facinating to read a book about something i used to be totally into, that's written by someone who has the same beliefs i have now. for not ever being a christian, he was so open to xtian music... and it's hard for it to break into my mind that the phenomenon of xtian music has continued after i left the fold- those bad bands are still out there! anyway, here's my choice quote:

"When I started this book, [my wife] was concerned that I was going to become a Christian. That didn't happen. But I have become a fan, not just of the music, but of Christians, and of Jesus himself. To me, the message of the Gospel is love one another, look out for the less fortunate, and try to walk gently on the earth. and I love that. I think evenagelical Christians tie themselves in ontological knots trying to make the whole Bible jibe, which is simply impossible with a collection of historical texts written over more than a thousand years. to anyone struggling with Christianity, my advice (and I realize how little this is worth, coming from someone who doesn't believe in God) is to try and keep your eye on the big picture, not a verse here and there. Love God, if you're so inclined, and love one another. Sort out the rest using those principles as a lens."

No comments: