15.10.08

ah choo!

Well, look at all the responses i got to that last post! it seems the deep, serious questions i have go unanswered, yet my flippant posts are so well loved! thanks always for your comments, everyone.

my allergy regimen is such: i was about 12 when it occured to my parents there may be medicines to help my drippy nose. so i tried benadryl to no avail, but psudophidrine (or whatever old sudafed was called) made a noticable difference. so they were so pleased with that they took me to the doctor, and i was prescribed allegra in high school, and it was amazing. but then my health insurance ran out, and then, years later, my bottle-o-pills (they gave me a three month supply assuming one every 12 hrs, and i take them maybe once or twice a month.) then claratin went over the counter, and i tried that and it had the same effect as swallowing m&ms, but less tasty. so i made friends with a nurse, who gave me free allegra samples which i HORDED like the dickens. like, oh, my nose is just running, that's not worth wasting an allegra on, i'll wait til my eyes start to water and my ears itch... and then sarah emailed me and said zertec wasn't working for her, so she'd mail me her stash, which i greatfully accepted, but then it went over the counter so i didn't feel so cool and illegal anymore. and that works OK, but it is accessable, and that's really what's important. if i ever get really desparate, i have like two allegra left.

as for your problem, amy, i was totally pro-napkin when i thought you were talking about your nose, then i re-read it and realized it was mouth, which made me switch my position to pro-sleeve. but in general, those quakers need to learn to wait peacefully!

i'm off, i want to finish re-reading a handmaid's tale before i go to lisa!'s to watch the debate tonight. there are lots of creepy scary parts of that book, but the really horrific things aren't what scare me the most. they're too unbelieveable, it's just ketchup as annie dillard says. the scariest parts for me are talking about the past, when she talks about when the world started to change, about going to the convienience store one morning for cigarettes and her card wouldn't work, and then going to work and all the women were laid off. so it started. and still, i can see it happening so easily. Sarah Palin wants to be an Aunt like nobody's business, i told ch. he said i shouldn't worry, he's sure she's never read the book. but maybe. maybe she saw the movie in the 80s. maybe she'd come up with the idea on her own. or maybe Dr. Dobson would tell her. I'm sure he's read it.

No comments: