16.4.07

on poetry

this post brought to you by garrison keillor's a writer's almanac podcast. because it's exactly as long as my walk between my home and the trainstation. i thought it was closer to 7 minutes, but the podcast is between 5 and 6 minutes long, and it usally gets me from front door to train door or vice versa. first, he has such a soft soothing voice. it's a great way to wake up... or to decompress at the end of the day. there's ads at the begining and end, the first part is the birthdays of authors and a little about their work, and the second part is a poem. it's nice. and it's a good way for me to learn to appreciate poetry. cause i don't really like poetry.

which tends to come as a surprise to people. since i love words so much. i love vocab, i love reading, i love song lyrics. but i can't appreciate poetry. it's to small, goes by to fast. i'm too much of a skimmer. i inhale what i read, and so i really don't do well with books of poetry. i do better when i'm slowed down. i can read the poetry in my planner, because it's just one poem that lasts all week- i am stopped from going on to the next one. and i'm looking from a distraction from my to do list. song lyrics obviously have music to entertain me. and now, garrison keillor's homey voice slows me down. and he picks the poems. so i don't have to go out and find them, they are just fed to me. i think it's good for me. my podcasts, in general, make me feel like a more well rounded person. they are edifying. i feel educated. unlike time spent online, or playing video games, which just dissapears into a useless void.

No comments: