26.6.07

reincarnation of pearl

when pearl died, when she showed that ugly face that no ipod owner ever wants to see, i didn't panic right away. i knew my first aid. i restarted. i went online to the site she told me to and did all the other rs. but still, no vital signs. no breathing. no heartbeat. i knew it was the end. i carried her with me all weekend, knowing i would soon get the chance to care for her as she so richly deserved.

today after work i made an appointment for her at the ipod section of the genius bar. while waiting for my appointment, i undressed pearl, and when jeff my genius called my name i passed her off to him. as he gently cradled her in his hands, i explained the things i had already done. jeff connected pearl to his laptop, and held her up to his ear. there was none of that clicking pearl the first made to show her discomfort. there was only silence. her heart had stopped. he checked my insurance information, affirmed that she, like me, is uninsured, and we had last been to visit february of 06 (goddess, what a miserable february that was!) i was prepared for him to start administering last rites, talking about organ donation or recycling programs. but instead, he said, let me try one more thing, i'll be right back. and he took her to his operating room in the back, and got out his tiny defibulator, and bam! zapped her heart back into working again. jeff at the genius bar, you have revived my ipod with dignity and humor. you are my hero for today.

so now, i'm going to copy my library list onto my desktop and update it regularly, because i know pearl and i are living on borrowed time. no one knows when cardiac arrest may happen.

No comments: