25.1.08

my little sister's boyfriend

just watched an inconvinient truth. wow. that al gore's a smart cookie. i miserably depressing movie though. it's just terror fear and panic in a culture of all news being terror, fear and panic. there was so little hope- and even less practical things. every practical thing was just text interspersed within the credits. maybe because he was planning on not just preaching to the choir, but i wanted more hope. i guess there are still lots of people out there who believe global warming is just at "theory." (side note: the tribune had a really interesting article on how the word theory means something different in science than it does in general english. usually, theories are just opinions- so conservitives can roll their eyes and say, oh, evolution is just your opinion. but in science, the word theory means something much more substancial. theories are just one step down from laws. do people not believe in gravitational theory?) but i guess i'm one of the ones who hop directly to dispair. i wanted more on the cfcs.

do you remember cfcs? as i child of the 80s, i do. i remember in "50 things kids can do to save the earth" being told to not buy aresol hairspray, and to be careful how old air conditioners and refrigerators were disposed of. and it, like, worked. al gore says the hole in the ozone layer is actually SHRINKING. i swear. that's what i want to hear about. not about the cute adventurous npr chick who chases methane bubbles in siberia. methane is too much for me- the co2 stuff is enough.

along with other versions of terror, fear and panic, both d and ch called me within moments of each other during the 10 o'clock news. the owner of the minimart around the corner from me was shot and killed today at 11am. d's been in the minimart and while i haven't actually met the guy, i do push my laundry cart in front of his shop on a regular basis. ch said the news hyped up the terror fear and panic by interviewing loyola students about how they felt. d didn't want me to be scared, but i can't help but feel that living in a big city is a choice i make, and i i live in a low crime area, and while what happened to him is terrible and awful and i wouldn't wish it on anyone, statistically speaking it only will happen, oh, once a year, and i'm going to consider myself lucky it wasn't me, and feel i'm safe for another year. it's like my mugging experience- it's happened, it's over, and while it was terrible and i wish it didn't happen, instead of making me feel scared it makes me feel a lot more confident knowing the chances of it happening again are exponentially lower.

so anyway, about the man z's stealling away from tipper, of course being the person that i am, i went to inconvienient truth's website and did their little emissions calculator- again. which is always a really fun exercise for me, because i don't drive. and of course, because my landlord pays my heating bill- i have no idea how the building is heated or what the thermostat is set at. that's another frustrating thing- all these changes that i, as a renter, can't make. anyway, my, oh, 2.3 tons of CO2 emissions per year (i almost typed admissions- a pretty funny homophone, if you think about it) can be offset for just 2 bucks a month. i had no idea it was so cheap. i can live a carbon neutral lifestyle for less than my coca cola budget. hey, sign me up.

whoops! sign me up after i pay february rent, i mean! gotta remember to tighten the belt until another job comes through!

No comments: