30.9.08

Happy Banned Books Week!

So the weekend totally lived up to the expectations. Friday night i was stuck about what to do- go over to lisa!'s and hear the debates with her and justin, or go to the michelle tea reading at women and children first bookstore. my mom called before the debate for Barak Obama's phone number. she heard someone on NPR explain the financial crisis with this WONDERFUL metaphor, and she wanted to tell it to Obama so that he could use it in the debates and this would make everything perfectly clear to the american people and they would all vote for him. (sadly, being a constituent of Obama's doesn't get me his cell, but i did google his offices for mom.)
So after all that talk with her about when the debates started i was rushing out of the house and when i got to W&CF i realized it was 9 Pa. time. it was only 8 chicago time. i had an hour to kill. So i gave myself permission to buy a book. I was SO SAD to see they had no ron koetrge, and they were out of the girls in 3B, so i bought the night watch by sarah waters and am very excited about it. i walked to kopi cafe and they had a little table in the window, so i sat on the floor and listened to paul simon's graceland, and ate my root beer float, and read my book, and had a lovely little time all by myself. Went back to the bookstore for the reading, which was great, but i had a hard time enjoying it because i ended up sitting next to d. i guess it was my own fault for introducing her to michelle tea. still, uncomfortably awkward.
afterwards, i took the bus to lisa!'s and justin had chocolates which he shared, and i had ANOTHER nice time. it was like i got the best of being single, then went to lisa!'s and got the best of being in a relationship.

Saturday afternoon was one of those "i'm so lucky to live in a big city" times. it was the banned books read out and SO MANY of my YA novelist heroes were there. Lauren Myracle, Louise Reynolds Naylor, Ron Koetrge, Lois Lowry, the guys who wrote And Tango Makes Three, Judy Bloom, and i'm sure more who i can't even remember. It was SO COOL. I really was glad i went- it was like the back of my personal red eye- all the celebrity sightings for people who only I (and a few teenagers and librarians) find as celebrities. Plus, i got a HUGE amount of knitting done on a project i want to be OVER, so that was wonderful too.

Saturday night was my birthday party and CH's with hugo and lisa! there was video games and birthday brownies and lots and lots of wine. i think fun was had by all.

Lisa! and my only goals for sunday were to recover, cut my hair and watch a movie. and we did all those things! lisa! did a great job with my hair, and the movie was stupid, but fun. plus we had thai food, too. Now you can see why i put off blogging about it- so many things, i didn't want to list them on friday, then rave about them todday!

No comments: