25.2.08

green slime

Anna Thomas in The New Vegetarian Epicure adores nopalitos, so when d's grocery store was having a sale on the little bags of chopped, de-needled cactus paddles, i bought some. Anna Thomas has provided me with some lovely food after all.

I used store-bought salsa instead of making my own, but i did separate eggs and cook griddle cakes while my nopalitos boiled away. In their viscous liquid. ew. I had high hopes, but they were shattered.

It looked so beautiful, my yellow corn griddle cakes heaped with green nopalitos, red salsa, white yogurt and sprinkled with toasted pine nuts. And it was- except for the nasty slimy texture of the nopalitos from the black lagoon. Which made the whole time-intensive meal really inedible. I still have a sort of film of slime in my mouth. Totally gross. I'm NOT saving the leftovers.

No comments: