10.2.08

last weekend

oh, it's been nice. friday night was d's actual birthday, and i'd spent more money than i had on taking her to milwaukee, so i just cooked out of my share for dinner for her. she had nasty traffic taking jr to his dad's, so i had a nice leasurely time cooking myself before she came. i made my favourite new recipie,the delicious cauliflower basil soup. and i had more lettuce to use up, so i tried anne's much hyped all recipies dot com. and there i found this little salad which delighted and astounded us. i'd never melted sugar on the stovetop before, and i was quite proud of myself. it was stupendously delicious... especially for a SALAD, featuring LETTUCE.

saturday we slept in, and were lazy. lots of book reading happened this weekend. d's into harry potter right now, so she's had a tome she's been lugging around for a while. and i started devil in the white city again, and i think i'm going to finish it this time, even if i don't have a crush on erin mckeown anymore. i cleaned up my hotspots in my house, which was very good for preparing my house and mind for vday, and then d made dinner while i went to the laundromat. (thank you liz. now instead of focusing on the laundry part of the trip, i can rejoice in the automated-ness of it. instead of being grumpy about pushing my laundry over the icy sidewalks and through the snow, i can be glad i'm not out at the river with a washboard or boiling pots on my stove. instead, it's remincient of that fabulous german slang for atm, bankomat.)
after dinner we went to the valentines day square dance and had just a great time. hugo showed up to take ch home, and d and i ended up having a party over at ch's, and we drank, stayed up late, ate cheese fondue and played elfenland. whoo hoo!

this morning was pretty much more of the same. i'd finished most of my list yesterday, so there was little i HAD to do today. i put away what laundry was dry, did some mending, and then d and i made yet another meal- my fridge is stocked with lentil-y dishes and other yummy sustainance. we played more games- rook and cribbage- and she took my recycling for me, since we didn't manage to leave the house today. so everytihng on my list is ready for the holiday.

bring it on!

No comments: