20.7.05

and now for today

ah, so charming. i woke up, stacy made me a fancy blend of tea, we ate toast and peaches out on the back porch while she got her watering done. i fed my crusts to coco, max, and stinky. was so nice just to chill out and be so peaceful. she's got a beautiful garden. a huge vegetable patch, a little green house, a red barn, a bird feeder surrounded by a white picket fence to keep the dogs out, a cooking herb garden and a medicinal herb garden. i felt like a lazy ass just sitting there, but it was good for my soul.

i was gonna bring my docs, but i forgot to change shoes at the last minute and ended up bringing my foam flipflops instead. so hiking was out for me, but i wanted to see the mountains if i was in denver, so stacy drove me (in her little hybrid car) up to idaho springs. the mountains are amazing. i waxed so poetic about them three posts ago, but they are lost, never to be found again. but it was something like: i don't know how these land forms can share the same name mountains with the soft green appalachains of my childhood. they are so huge and red and raw, and when i think mountain, i think big and green and soft, flufflily tree covered, mossy. the rockys are endless, and jagged. their natural edges are like where the appalachians have been dynamited to make road ways. the mountains of my childhood were so old and steady in their looming, the rockies are rough and tumble. they too have trees, but they too are jagged and spiky in this desert land. i asked stacy and she says the aspens are deciduous and turn golden in autumn, but all i could see where the pointy evergreens. it's so dry. pennsylvania is always humid, so the dryness of chicago's winters was a shock to me when i moved here. but this moistureless heat is something i've never felt before. i've never needed chapstick before in the summer. even though there are record setting highs, i can't quite mind it, because it's so easy to breathe. there is none of that water that clogs one's lungs in chicago or pa. you can feel the sun just beating down on you. i don't mind the high altitude- i haven't felt sick or lightheaded. but the clearness of it all makes me feel closer to the sun- the rays have so little distance to travel to my skin. glad my lotion is working so far. the sky is huge here. and the mountains are everywhere you go. just on the west, though. they're enourmously gigantic, looming over the city, but just being on one side makes them somehow less opressive than the hills of pa always looking down on me.

after that stacy and i went down to denver to watercourse foods for lunch. yummy vegetarian- stacy and i can talk alot about food, even though she eats meat now. i can't begrudge her. the world doesn't need to be vegetarian every meal in my mind, just open minded about it. we stopped back home so she could change for lunch and i could gather my stuff. we called charles and gossiped with him. again, it was fun to hear the other side of the conversation- i'm so used to hearing ch's half, and now i get to hear stacy's. and then, i talked to him, and instead of me listening to them, it's her listening to us. i wish ch could come and show me around here. but we'll never be able to vacation at the same time as long as i work there. it's sad- i want all my friends to know and love each other, to all be together in the same place. the world is just too darn big, and my heart is stretched to so many different places.

a sounded a mess on the phone, so i was in a hurry to get back to nates, but she's fine, just anxious and tired. she was trying to nap, so that's how i got all this time to blog. but then i've had all these problems posting. so it's taken me her whole nap. but i'll hopefully be able to update as soon as i've lived more life!

No comments: