28.7.05

and a meme for good luck...

tagged by cecilia, i thought i'd give you a bit of introspection to chew on before i'm gone:

What I was doing ten years ago:

getting ready to start high school. i decided i was going to be radical, which at the time meant wearing "fest" clothes (the hippie dress as seen at the philadelphia folk festival) in real life. i was going to band camp, and starting to crush on a soon to be sophmore, jeff. i was planning see you at the pole, a prayer rally at the begining of the school year- i was very involved in the southern baptist youth group. i was very lonely, pretty depressed, and wrote terrible poetry.

5 years ago:

i was finishing up my term at su casa, my year of living and working in a homeless shelter. ("providing transitional shelter to homeless latino families") i was feeling my character building experience had been about as much as i could go through, and was ready to move on to the next thing. conversely (perversely?) i was finally realizing what my role was at su casa and was considering another term of service, but decided it wouldn't be worth it to continue on without ruth. i had an unhealthy obsession with her, and depended on her to keep me sane and stable in chicago. i was not prepared to consider life here without her, so instead i focused all my energy on learning german, and preparing my grand european tour which was october-december of 2000. i was looking for escape and running away.

1 year ago:

looked back at my blog entries, it seems like it wasn't so long ago. very familiar feelings: i was hating marty and terrified of my mother's wedding, angry at my mother for emotionally dissapearing, struggling with my desire for g and coming out to all sorts of people, and crushed and desolate at the news that mairee would not be returning to chicago. august was my month off from blogging- i didn't start getting comments until october. also last year at this time, i was planning to go to the beach for the family reunion. i hadn't been in ages, and was very nervous about it. the end of my "100 things unglaubliche history" pretty much sums it up: 96. i vist pa as my mother is moving in with marty. I discover i am much fonder of her house than i had previously supposed. 97. Marty manages to insult me, amy, and ch in less than 24 hours. Many tears are shed and many drops of remedies are taken. 98. I go to the beach with my dad’s side of the family and discover i like them much more than i had previously supposed. a, my vegan anarchist second cousin once removed (kristy) and i get pretty smashed at a leather bar on rehoboth ave. 99. z. and i meet again and are very sisterly. we give each other a second chance and become rather close.

Yesterday:

was bored at work, charmed by ch, had my head in a book, and was contimplating heady thoughts about vintage cooking and lesbianism. or was just bored, hungry and horny. still trying to figure out which. thought about how i should pack for the beach. haven't done it yet. leave tomorrow.


5 snacks I enjoy:

ice cream
hanuta
cool ranch doritos
chex mix
edamame

5 songs I know all the words to :

All i want (joni mitchell)
latter days (over the rhine)
moses (patty griffin)
love, salvation fear of death ( sixpence none the richer)
ash wednesday (the nields) {i mean, i know all the words to others, too, but this is the show offy one] {i just sang it to myself to prove it, but i forgot the "quitting smoking is a must" verse. i know all the words, though, just can't always remember the order....}


5 Things I would do with $100 million:

give out a million micro loans to women starting businesses in third world countries
donate alex sanchez, nancy garden, and francesca lia block books to every library that any teen has access to
have studios in berlin, chicago, new york, london, and LA
buy out rafael and free ch from financial flowershop worry
create a national train system that is fast, functional, and financially self-sustaining


5 locations I would like to run away to:

germany
india
morocco
toronto
new zealand

5 bad habits I have:

talking too much about myself
selfishness / self-centeredness
fiddling with my hair and ears
running late
not showering or doing dishes often enough


5 things I like doing:

knitting
cooking
reading
sewing
listening to music

5 things I would never wear:

i would wear just about anything in the proper context.

i would avoid:
bras
shorts
high cut bikini bottoms
tube tops
empire waist cuts

5 TV shows I like:

i don't own a tv, i don't watch tv. sometimes i'll get simpsons on dvd. that's it, though.

5 Biggest joys of the moment:

Chocolates!
deep windowsills, plants, comfy chair with big pillows, table lamps, all by my new balcony
commuting on the redline
the long list of books to read stored on my ipod. and the subsequent checking out from the library and reading of aformentioned books
not having to go to school


5 Favorite toys:

record player
cell phone
ipod
wok
slr camera


Now I'm Tagging:
memes come here, to die, too.
jamie? justine? a? wanna start your blog with a meme? anyone? i've just not had good meme response.

No comments: