20.5.06

graduation party and more

so much has happened since my last post. in my last 2 hrs at rachel and leah's house, i just put on le tigre and got out my gummi bears and pulled their complete collection of dykes to watch out for off the bookcase and sat on the couch with my feet under the cat and read comics. then i gathered up my stuff and hauled it to the end of the block, and did the whole trolley, train station, septa thing. it was so wierd because all of the stations had the same names as my chicago neighborhood. bryn mawr, ardmore, berwyn and the end of the line was thorndale. creepy. my dad got a little lost in exton finding the station, but it was warm and dusk, and the trees were green and the mountains were close and i just stood with my island of suitcases along side the road with my hands in my pockets whistling indigo girl's devotion. mountain laurel is pa's state flower, you know.

dad took me to his house and showed me all those apple commercials online- he's so cute, the way he gets when something's so funny he can't stand it. then z came and picked me up and we went to moms to cook. when we woke up this morning we cooked some more, and then mom and z and i went to west reading. we dropped z off at the vf outlets (i'm size 5, i yelled, buy some cute gutchies for me, since that's our grandma's cute word for underwear) and then mom and i went to the keith harring exhibit at the reading museum. he was born in reading, you know, and grew up in kutztown. it was really quite good. they don't have a huge amount of money, so they had to get creative, and i think it was really good- really keeping with the spirit of the art, too. lots of things borrowed from families instead of museums. yeah, they have some of his murals, tarps, canvases. but it's also books he made for children of his friends. his nephew's baby furnature. the chalk drawings he made on old subway blank ad spots that made him famous.

i really love it all, it's so bold and brightly colored. but i also love his ideas about art- that white (or black) spaces are just waiting for art to happen in them. that everyone deserves art, that everyone should have opertunities to be exposed to it. that you can interpret it anyway you want to. that babies and animals- that's all we are. everyone can relate to babies and animals. they had a really funny interview with him in Wi when he did some big murals on a construction sight. mom and i kept laughing at the interveiwers. "was he on a soap opera once- look at her HAIR!" they asked him the funniest questions. "now, this graffiti you did on the subway- was that legal?" well, no, not exactly...

i just feel like it ties in so nicely with what i'd been saying before about beauty. wanting to be surrounded by it, and filling up space, and there being too many advertisments and not enough artistic stimuli in my watching patterns, or just in the world in general. but as we were leaving z called and said pick me up NOW before i spend all my cruise money! so we did. and didn't she buy me 2 camis one of which was a matching set? and she bought herself all sorts of nice undies too, strapless bras and more, this whole bag of stuff for only $26! my grandma would have been so proud.

anyway, we had to get home in time for the graduation party. it was so classic, all the important characters seemed to be there, and i was glad the ones i most wanted to see showed up, my great uncle billy, my great aunt jeanne, my aunt ellen and my godmother anne. and then bernadette came! what a surprise that was! it was so nic e to see her, although it's such a lame setting to catch up with people. but we'll still be myspace buddies. see. i've got a friend in pennsylvania, just like the liscense plates used to say. it was all this traditional family food, too, the baked beans, grandma bricker's potato salad, the mint squares of anne's. but oh, i have a headache from making small talk with all those people, none of whom i know very well, saying the same things over and over about my schooling and my future job. whatever that may be, etc. luckily i had that nice big portfolio, and that speaks for itself. mostly.

anyway, am very tired, and it's late, and i must get up early tomorrow, cause i have to repack and we have to catch a boat....

waking up was so hard this morning, i'd been having a dream about l- me and z et. al. were staying like in this hotel in philly the day before we left so we wouldn't have to drive down early that morning. and i was asleep, (which is always so weird in dreams) and i woke up and l was in bed beside me. and i'm like oh my goddess, you're here, i thought our time in philly wouldn't overlap at all, and she couldn't really explain it but i didn't really care because we were cuddling and it was very warm and nice. but i had to get to the boat on time, so she went downstairs to get us seats at breakfast, and i got dressed in the outfit i had planned for today, but i couldn't manage to get downstairs to eat breakfast with her before i woke up and moms couch was so narrow and lonely in comparison.

so that's all for now- z says we're gonna have wireless on the boat, so i'll see if i can blog from there!

No comments: