13.5.06

one of those letters

i played with stormy this morning, making me more inclined to enjoy my day. mom and grandma came up, g'ma saw my apartment and i modeled my dress for her. i tried on my cap and gown with my 19th century undergarments, but the gown isn't quite full enough to wear over the hoop. instead, i'm going to safety pin zippers all over it. i'm a costume designer graduating from an art school. there's no way i'm going to go up there wearing the same thing as everyone else.

so mom and g'ma and i walked to the library, and the hardware store, and the healthfood store to run my errands. then we went to devon market, which they both wanted to see. horray for produce! we came home and had tea and played cards, then went to the blue elephant for dinner, where we all had excellent food.

we came home and made lentil cashew burgers for tomorrow's dinner, then they went home because g'ma is early to bed and early to rise. but she left me a graduation card on the table. the inside she wrote "congratulations to our #1 granddaughter- we remember how excited we were when you were born. love, grandma and grandpa."
and then there was this little note inside:

"dear caity,
hope you are following your committment to jesus christ. it is very difficult when there are so many distractions. remember, he doesn't forget you and i pray for you every day- hope you find a very rewarding job.
love,
gram"

and i think, that right there, sums my grandma up to a t. my goddess. i'll be so glad when they're gone and it's all over, and i can concentrate on fitting my island vacation into my smallest wheely suitcase....

No comments: