27.8.06

sunday and so on

moved so slowly today. had to cross things off the list that just weren't gonna get done. the cat woke me up stiff and sore much too early, and i just rolled around bed for awhile, reading my newest nonfiction. i'll tell you about it soon, i'm sure. it's been having me do lots of thinking, and i'm not sure what to do with that- i feel like i should be preparing to write a paper on my research. really- it's that dry and academic (yet facinating) of a book.

so anyway, showered, ate, hauled my laundry to the laundrymat again, washed it, dryed some, hauled it back home, hung it up, etc. then gathered up my library books (except of course, far from xanadu- i'm not ready to part with my beloved mike szabo yet) and headed downtown. i talked to my mother, returned my books, picked up my 2 holds, and then went to the siskel theater to watch ryna, this romanian film i heard about on TOC's movie podcast. it was beautiful- not something i'm going to cheer about and send all my friends to see. just quiet and sad. but subtitles + cute girl with shaved head + hopeful ending = movie caitlin likes. it made me all contepmlative about movies. i downloaded both TOC's podcast and ebert & roper and i am facinated by the differences. first i should comment on their print work- i love TOC movie reviews more than most things- if i had to give up, say, gummy bears or TOC movie reviews, i would probably say goodbye to haribo. i don't read ebert nearly as often, but in general i agree with his movie opinions. so the first difference i noticed was how slick e&r was- the TOC boys were just goofballs hanging around a microphone in the back office. e&r were obviously actually a tv show. you know this is not a complement from me. and the other thing i thought was sad was how watered down the movie choices for e&r had to be, with the whole nationwide thing, they were gonna review the blockbusters at lowes cineplex. their wild and crazy off the wall pick was beerfest, for goodness sake. TOC, on the other, of course did snakes on a plane, but at the end they did ryna (... and guess which got a better review?) cause they knew it was playing at the siskel this week. and i was walking home thinking of handy butch girls in small towns, and the few movie options they get. i mean, look at your options in reading, pa. the movie theater i can walk to has half the options available to the entire city. whenever i talk about seeing, say, someone popular like almodovar, mom will say, oh, i think that's playing up at the art house in kutztown. i feel so lucky to live someplace that doesn't just have my walkable $5 midnight first runs, but also has the music box, the siskel, doc films in hyde park. i really should go out more.

and i'm gonna, in september! for my birthday i'm gonna buy myself a punch card to the music box, where i've never been, but i've always wanted to go. cause they're having a almodovar super feature- three of his movies every week. i've never seen one on the big screen (live flesh was in theaters such a short time, and i rented my first almodovar right when talk to her came out) and it should be lots and lots and lots of fun.

anyway, came home, ate dinner, took out the trash, bleached (unsuccessfully) my mustache, read some more petted the cat, am going to bed.

oh, but also, talking about local chicago things, my bag lady waswritten up in the reader this week! so if you've wanted to see what my bowling ball bags look like, i did the plaid one on her lap and the purple one with silver handles she's holding. i'm very excited for her!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi and sorry.
You have intrigued me - what is TOC?