25.10.04

homosexuals

sorry for three posts in one day! but people keep sending me stuff! i guess i shouldn't feel so lonely with justine iming me and g emailing me. she sent me a forward, saying, "Here is something that IV is doing for community service. It sums up
their views on homosexuality, esp. in the somewhat complicated (for
Christians) position of thinking about homosexuals who consider
themselves Christian. I think that I agree with the stance, for the
most part. It at least succinctly sums up my thoughts, as far as they
have gotten, although it doesn't really answer all of the nuanced
questions that will always arise out of the discussion of
homosexuality/religion/Christianity. What do you think?"
then the article says:
"what is IV's stance? According to what we see clearly presented in the Bible, IV currently understands that homosexual behavior is sinful (see passages such as Romans 1:26-27.) However, to quote from a report put out by IV in 1995: "Homosexual orientation (that is, psycho-sexual attraction to persons of the same gender) is not the same as homosexual behavior. While homosexual orientation is not in and of itself sinful, it is a distortion of what God originally intended resulting from the fall. As such it is also a point of temptation and a possible doorway to sinful behavior." But I think that another statement in that same report can help us understand exactly why, though disapproving of homosexual behavior, we should partner with a group like QueeReligious: "Homosexuality is not to be considered differently from other categories of distortion and sin insofar as Christ's redemptive work is concerned. Our true identity is given to us by God's creative and redemptive activity and is not to be derived from how we view ourselves. We must not root our core identity in our brokenness or sinfulness. Therefore, homosexuality cannot serve as a basis of true identity." Homosexual behavior is no different from other forms of sexual sin, or sin in general, that everyone experiences. It is another possible form of the general brokenness experienced by all mankind. Our goal, then, should be to overcome our brokenness in general, not to emphasize certain forms of sin as more deviant, and in doing so alienate some of our brothers and sisters in Christ. Jesus approached sinners as people, not identifying them as synonymous with their sin--it was never "'Prostitute'" this or "'Tax Collector'" that. Instead, He addressed them as people, often by name ("'Zacchaeus!'" [Luke 19] for example). In the same way, I believe that Christ would never have addressed a practicing homosexual by his or her sin, but would have approached them as people in need of His love and grace. Along with this, Christ understood the needs of the people around Him, and also understood the reality of their situation. If we are to attempt to emulate His love and grace, we must also emulate this understanding. Our chapter has posed the question this quarter, "What is the Christian life at the U of C?" And for some students at the U of C, the Christian life is one of trying to understand themselves as homosexual and as Christian. If we are to understand the broader answer to our question, it would serve us well to see also the varied, more specific forms the Christian life might take." ¶ WHAT DO I THINK? WHAT THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO THINK? i can't even get into what i'm feeling/thinking right now. please, dear blog readers, if any of you ever think of posting comments, this is the one to do it on. what is my response to this supposed to be?

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Now is this the time to reveal that I've been reading your blog for about two weeks now? It seems so.
So, I'm taking your plea to comment on this blog seriously enough, but honestly I don't know what to think either.
Now there are different reasons why I find it hard to say anything about that article:
1) Either my English is still not good enough or the article is too confusing, but I feel like I didn't understand half of it. And what I think I understood I didn't like so much.
2) Maybe I'm way too liberal altogether. I don't have a problem with religion and I certainly don't have a problem with homosexuals. I am a heterosexual raised somewhat catholic and I see no problem in being a homosexual Christian. But that might be because my feeling about Christianity and God and religion in all that is that if it doesn't serve as a source of faith and belief (in a positive way) it isn't worth anything. I just can't bring myself to see homosexuality as a sin and I won't. So the whole discussion - although I can see the motivations behind it - seems unnecessary to me.
Although I am no great believer and hardly go to church I can surely say this one thing about Christianity: the whole point for me is being a good person. And I don't see what your sexual orientation has to do with you being a good person.

I know that this is a difficult topic to discuss, that there are strong opinions and beliefs behind it. Still, there is no discussion for me here.

PS: Hi Caitlin, nice to finally meet you.

caitlin said...

jamie, thanks so much for your comments! welcome to my little world, i hope you find in interesting, if not brightly colored and comfortable here.
the gist of the article is that it's ok to be homosexual, just not to have sex. the rest of it's just justifications for that. it seems like most of the christians in my life feel this way, so it's great to hear a view i want to believe in.
feel free to comment in the future as well, i'd love to get to know you more. i see you have a german email address- how did you find me?
deine,
caitlin

Jamie said...

Caitlin, if that's what this article was about, then I did understand it right and that was what I didn't like about it. But I think I made my point of view clear already.
So, how did I found you? Well, the answer to that question is very simple if not a little childish. I started my own blog here about two weeks ago and after I did my profile I discovered that you could search for other bloggers with similar interests or likes by just clicking on your own profile entries. So the first entry of mine I clicked on was "Katell Keineg" just to see if there were others out there who liked her music, too, which, believe me, is rare enough. The answer came up with two bloggers who listed her. One of them was you. Honestly, that was basically it. It sounds kind of cheap, but then again, maybe it's not.
Have a great day in Chicago.