19.3.05

hair

since so many google searches have involved hair, i want my readers to get what they are looking for! so here are my opinions about hair found in all sorts of places:

animal: the only way to go! i am so pro-natural fibers. i could never be a vegan because i love cashmire and wool and SILK. i also have sheepskin mittens and a fur hat (vintage) that i adore.

g's: i adore g's curly hair and that is what attracted me to her in the first place. risha (who's disappeared from the costume shop. no one knows what happened to her) was adorable merely for having g's hair. it's a facinating texture to draw, and i touch it every opertunity i get.

mine-
head: currently dreadlocks. i've always wanted big hair, and so i'm a fan. unfortunately i also like being in control, and you just can't be with dreads. i try- i'm always buying new products to have g rub into them. one of the best things about dreadlocks is having g play with my hair every 2 weeks or so. the best so far are the wonderful smelling rasta twist and lock mango and lime locking gel and the nasty greasy murray's beeswax. i promised i'd keep them til i graduate. we'll see if i'll be able to wait that long- the urge to shave my head is hard to resist.

legs: like 'em furry. z. gave me a REALLY hard time about this as kid. called me a gorilla and made me cover them up. hence i feel very self consious about them, but am trying to change. i can find other women's hairy legs beautiful, but not my own- they are just SO hairy. worse than most guys. if i get depressed one of my favourite forms of self-alteration is shaving. i suppose it's better than fasting or cutting, but i hate the naked, raw feeling afterwards. you don't realize how much you FEEL with your hair until you don't have any. i was hemming a pair of pants for g and was surprised to find her shaven ankles just as repulsive as my own. i always thought i didn't like feeling them from the inside, but i don't like it from the outside, either. i think shaving is right up there with corsets and lack of pockets in the ways beauty standards have opressed women.

armpits: my mother always made me shave them. i remember her stopping me at the philadelphia folk festival and shaving them for me. i continued to in chicago, until i decided it was a good idea not to have any razors in the house. i thought it would be problematic with deodorant, but boys manage just fine, and i do too. i'm probably least ashamed of that hair.

pubic: well, let's just say mine is this enormous arrow from my belly button, saying, "here's where it get it" i swear it goes down to my knees. this is obviously not a problem in chicago winters, but i gave up wearing a bathing suit for about 5 years- i wore this awesome 1910's bathing dress with a full skirt. but i was going to the beach last summer, and decided i didn't wanna go in the ocean with enough clothing to be caught in the tides. so a bought a bikini. i wore my gauze skirts except on the way into or out of the ocean, but i didn't feel like i was getting any stares. the only comment i got was from my vegan anarchist second cousin, who after the 3rd drink admited she noticed and thought "more power to her!" i totally understand about people defoliating the stuff that shows, but as for the stuff that doesn't show in public, you'll have to see my thoughts on legs. i never even noticed hair on nipples until tgisw said she plucked hers before our petting session. i can't care one way or the other.

facial: ch was whining about kissing with mustaches- you end up getting brush burn on the inside of your lips. i never considered this. if i was spending time kissing boys, i'm sure i'd have more opinions about facial hair. i know mairee is deeply, deeply, depressed and embarrased by her facial hair- she feels a slave to the removal of it and thinks even having to deal with it makes her ugly and masculine. leaving it or removing it is a no win situation. my mother also made me bleach my mustache when i lived at home. i never liked it, but i still do it. i tried plucking, but it hurts to much and takes to long, and is apparently bad for the folicles. my first trip to germany, meike was waxing her legs and i tried some on my mustache- it didn't work, hurt more than i could imagine, and made be break out all over my lip the next day. my grandma gave me electrolysis for christmas. Thanks grandma, you give me such confience in being beautiful just the way i am. i tried for her sake, but it was awful- i ended up fainting. the ends are growing longer, and i found myself twirling them when i was thinking like ch does for his. so now i trim it with tiny scissors and bleach the stubble, and for now i am content. but i'm not sure how i would deal with other peoples. i'll get some more experience and get back to you.

arms, backs, fingers toes: not a big problem for me, but i don't think it should be messed with! in general, i'm pro-hair. one of the few things ch and i have in common in our seach for dates is liking the hairy ones ;->

i feel my hair is tied very tightly to my psyche. if i think my hair on my head looks good or bad, it often depends on how i'm feeling. having hairy legs and armpits seems to be a sure sign of the stereotype feminist lesbian. and when i'm feeling sad, lonely, and ugly, i want to remove it all, clog the drains, and see if i can rip off other things about myself that i hate while i'm at it. i haven't shaved since a year ago halloween, although i seem to think about it every friday night. i'm never sure if this is something to be proud of or embarassed of. i wonder if perhaps i think and talk about hair more than anyone else in the whole world, or at least the whole blogosphere.

No comments: