20.3.05

a winter pilaf dinner

shoot. i'm so sad everyone else has lives and doesn't blog on the weekends. this is when i spent the most time sitting in front of the computer, and i fill my recent entries up so no one gets a chance to comment on them all. i keep thinking i'll be able to restrain myself, but i never do. please, feel free to continue to comment on the previous entries! i read ALL my comments, no matter how long ago!
so, since i got my new vegetarian epicure, i've been itching to make a fancy dinner. luckily this weekend wasn't SUPER heavy on schoolwork. still need to do all those damn journal entries. but anyway, about dinner. jen said we should get together, so i decided to clean up and have her over. mom called early and woke me up (so much for catching up on sleep) saturday morning, needing tax information, so i had to call my dad (this does get relavant, i promise). he asked me if i'd gotten out on my bike yet this year, and i had to admit no, but he inspired me so i pumped up my tires and headed off to the fruit and vegetable store today. i'm so out of shape! of course, i bought lots of heavy groceries, too. squash, cabbage. i had such a nice time in the kitchen. i really do enjoy cooking. if i have time. and the dishes are done. everything was done about 15 min. after jen got here, which i thought was perfect.
i served bulgar pilaf with fennel, raisins and pine nuts; oven roasted butternut squash, red cabbage stewed with apples and wine, steamed fresh green beans, and mini amaretto bunt cakes.
marty had given me the mini bunt cake pan when he came to visit, and i wanted to use it, cause i'm not a big baker. i was nervous about it but they turned out gorgous looking. all the little ridges and corners turned out, and i drizzled the top with fudge sauce, sprinkled it with almonds, stuck a piroette cookie in the middle hole, and garnished them with strawberries cut into little fans. i took lots of pictures, when i develop my film i will post them!
all the recipies serve 10-12 (with everything else in the meal) so i ended up quartering all of them but the pilaf, which i only halved so i can eat it all week with various veggies. i was sure i'd screw up the math, but it was all delicious. Yum!

No comments: