17.9.05

letter to the editor

To whom it may concern:

I have been a Tribune subscriber for the past four years- the entire time I’ve lived in Chicago. All newspaper readers in Chicago must make the difficult decision of which newspaper to read. The Tribune has narrowly won my vote by having a superior comics section. However, I was aghast last Sunday to find Agnes missing. One of the funniest comics published, Agnes’s sarcastic wit and snarky sense of humor has made her the comic I clip the most. While I can't begrudge the return of Calvin and Hobbes, Humble Stumble does not look like it will have the same cleverness or endearing characters of Agnes. Kids Across and Parents Down could replace Doodles without taking valuable comic space. I don't believe your previous new comics are particularly funny either. Prickly City is occasionally good, but Brewster Rocket is never comic in the least. By choosing the Tribune's comic section, I give up Pearls Before Swine, Frank and Ernest, Drabble and Sally Forth. Get Fuzzy, Doonesbury, and Agnes used to make this a fair trade. Now, I'm not so sure. I ask you to seriously reconsider your decision to cut Agnes. There are other less worthy comics that could be let go instead.

Sincerely,
Caitlin

No comments: