21.6.05

wanna be brando post

1995
i'm 14 years old, watching tv with my dad in his living room. my parents are recently divorced, and so the tv divide becomes very apparent- dad watches alot, mom keeps hers in the basement. it kind of provides a backdrop for my depressed excapism- i'm so unhappy with my life i read voraciously at moms, and i watch tv programs at dads. but this night is after my programs are done, dad has control of the remote. he's unhappy with all of his sports games and there are no sci fi programs on, and he's just flipping through channels. he stops on one with a blonde chick entering an apartment with another woman who has a huge mane of curly flaming red hair. the red haired woman takes off her jacket and procedes to walk around naked hunting for her clothes, much to the embarrassment of the blond chick and her tv audience. dad quickly flips the channel and says, "i didn't know you could show that on tv. it's sad how far things have come."
2002
i'm working with ch, who tells me all the media i need to know. i am often appalled of his discriptions of tv shows. when i watch tv, i find myself ironically saying dad's quote. people will swear and i will say, "i didn't know they let people say that on tv."
2005
i'm getting bored with the movies on my neflix queue. so i decide to move some up. i move up tales of the city, and plan on watching it with ch, but then i get impatient and watch it myself. it's so fabulous, this is what 28 barbary lane looks like, there are mrs. madrigal's pot plants, and then there's the scene! between mona and maryanne! how in the world did san francisco subculture in the 1970s make it to my pennslvaninan tv set? would dad and i have watched it if we had flicked it on at another moment? i'll never know. it's really creepy, though. it's like it really is one of my postcards, sent to the past.

No comments: