1.10.05

i love my neighborhood

do you ever think, "ugh, i have to find my keys, haul open the garage door, get all my junk in the car, and i hate pulling out on broadway, then i have to find a parking spot... i think i'll just walk!"? cause that's how i feel about my bicycle. it's just so effing heavy. i ended up walking to the hardware store- found good rope for belts for my fishermen. also- a pink toilet seat!! i hate my squishy cracked one- i can't imagine what's living inside it. so i'll have to change that now that i've drug it home. i wrapped up a package for laura, then rode my bike to the post office.

laura says the germans were laughing at how i can't drive. but traffic's so bad on a bike- i can't imagine driving a car. laura was joking about "letting" me drive hers- i do hope it was just a joke, and she won't make me. anyway, after the post office i'm riding south on ashland. the street's wide open, and i really feel like i should cut over while i have the chance, because i can never remember where clark breaks off. butt i don't, i wait 2 more lights, then when i can see the trees of gesthseme ahead, i make my break and head over to the left lane. well, i'm about 2 blocks early. shit. then there's this big suv behind me honking like crazy. what the hell am i supposed to do now?? sure, i fucked up, but i'm pedaling as hard as i can to get out of it as fast as possible. i'm certainly not going to merge right 3 lanes just to merge right again a block later. the suv finally passes me, screaming out the window, "you're gonna get a ticket!!" ugh. FINALLY clark comes and i can move right again.

i go past the dance store 3 times before i find it. they have to order my pampoosies. damn. i hope they get here on time. walk to edgewater produce- god, i love it so much. i ride home on glenwood again. such charming people out on bikes, kids running around, sidewalk sales...and there i am, in my vintage halter dress, on my bicycle, going around the roundabout with my dreadlocks sticking out from under my helmet and my panier with its fresh vegetables sticking out from the top of it... it was a good feeling of belonging, i don't think i've felt it yet in my new neighborhood. i mean, it's not hyde park, but i could be content here for a long time.

No comments: