12.5.05

bonnets and fishnets

ok, so we're listening to an euryhtmics song at work today. and ch is discribing yet another savage video to me. he's saying that in this one, annie lennox is wearing a bonnet. i think i go help a customer, then he says casually when i get back, leah and i were talking about you wearing a bonnet.
i of course want desperately to know what they were talking about me when i was gone! ch said it was the comparison between the sunbonnet wearing caitlin and the fishnet and false eyelash wearing caitlin. i'm trying to remember what i looked like when i dressed up in high school. i never really had reason to. no, actually, i did dress up for church. i wasn't going to a church i could wear fishnets and false eyelashes to, though. i didn't want to be sexy in high school, i don't think. i think i was still angry at my body for abandoning me, and forcing me to grow up. long gauze skirts, silk shirts, halters and stuff in the summer, i think. for all i am ashamed to show my calves, i've never had a problem with plunging necklines.
i'm trying to remember when janette at berkshire baptist gave me my first sunbonnet. we went to berkshire baptist from about 8th grade to 12th grade. it was definately pretty early in that period, and then i made a pattern and made many other bonnets after that, with varying success (you really need buckram or serious interfacing to make the brim stiff enough.) i met leah in 12th grade (do you know this story? her little sis drug her to berkshire bapist's youth group's wednesday night prayer meeting, where i was leading worship. she brought along a sketchbook she had made with "...and it was my rebirth" written on the front, along with a picture of a floating bottle.) and i prayed alot for her. i was going through a wildly swinging phase, that year and the next that i spent with the brethren. i could never quite decide if i wanted to be a radical pierced punk rawk grrl or a head-covered, no pants wearing, Plain christian.
i think i ended up choosing the first on almost all accounts, except i won't give up my sunbonnets. they keep your part from getting sunburnt, as well as your nose, you don't have to take them off when you go inside, and they immediately make you look funky. i don't know if ch has ever even see me wear one. he says the most memorable time he remembers of me wearing a sunbonnet was at the indigo girls concert 4th of july at taste of chicago two years ago, and we didn't even meet up then. i thought i wore it to the pride parade, but i think i had pigtails instead.
i remember the last thing i've ever bought at wal-mart. i was visiting home xmas after my first year in this apartment. and i saw these heeled knee high black boots small enough to fit me. i bought them and it revolutionized my wardrobe- suddenly, i could wear short skirts and my calves would still be hidden! it was right after this that i wore my first pair of fishnets- the girls at 6109 s greenwood were throwing a girl's night in drinking party, and we were supposed to dress up and look fabulous. i was still charmed by xians who drank, and i borrowed black fishnets from g, and had her do my makeup. i didn't have my own pair until my step sister's wedding. i was spending my first serious time in nyc right before, and was staying with my guru cory. and so he and i went shopping at h&m (which wasn't yet in chicago) to find me something apropriately fabulous to wear. i got the dress and headband in my old profile picture, and black tights with red fishnets overtop- pretty cool. i have my own black pair now. they keep your legs suprisingly warm.
eyelashes are even newer- just from this fall. you can click on oktober's archives for the full story.
so what were ch and leah's ruminations about my sunbonnets vs. fishnets and false eyelashes? i'll probably never know. but these are my ruminations on them.

No comments: