19.12.05

post office

well, i got my international packages ready to mail. and for a and l. in fact, i think if you read this blog and i'm sending you a package, consider it done. i was 16th in line at the post office. the line was out the door and past the smokers lounge, almost to the skydeck office. everyone in line in front of me was horrified they'd run out of holiday stamps. buy 'em early, suckas! ch and i heard on the radio this is the busiest day of the year at the post office. wednesday will be the buisiest delivery day. it made me feel like everyone else who doesn't have their own personal post office, the people who have to wait in line everytime, the people who don't know all the cashiers by name. the people when they get to the window, don't hear "hi caitlin! well?" because those people are not expected to say "i have nothing fragile, liquid, hazardous or perishable; and i don't need delivery confirmation or stamps today!"

marchetta was my cashier. i was a bit embarrased cause she was my cashier on friday when i mailed our package to the accountant. she asked me how i was, and i said ok and then started to cry. she asked what the matter was and i said i'd been really hurt by the person i send all the packages to in detroit. she said, "honey, don't worry about it, he's not worth it, there are other fish in the sea." and it was really sweet, but i was too verkelmpt to correct her pronouns. you understand, i don't go shouting my problems to all the world (well, actually i do, but only on my blog); it's just i have an unnaturally close realtionship to my postwomen.

so anyway, i got marchetta again today, she looks at her little clock and says, "eh, 10 minutes. i saw you get in line, and i wondered how long it would take to get to me." and as she's tearing off all my customs forms (because you know i ALWAYS arrive at the post office with customs forms already filled out) she says, "you look like you're doing much better today." and i explain how i've decided not to give up since everything's all over emotional due to the holidays. in fact, i was sending a package to detroit today. the line was long, and it was already filled out, so i didn't ask her my most pressing question about that, which is: can you write asshole on the address label of a package sent through the usps? i mean, will like the FCC come after you or something? i know you can't send explosives or write political statements on the outside of packages to germany, but what about this?

but anyway, she gave me delivery confirmation for l's, and then asked if i'd like a rum truffle. she leaned over the divider into betsy's little stall and got a package of them, and gave one to me, wishing me happy holidays. isn't that the sweetest thing ever? so meike, ruth, michi, jamie, a, l- you are all worth waiting in line for.

No comments: