7.12.05

set yourself of fire

busy day at work today. took lots of orders, always running around- we made about 3x the average everyday. we're doing centerpices for a holiday party for a law firm on friday. they're in these tall vases with xmas ornaments tied on ribbon hanging down around the edges. 22 centerpieces x 3 ribbons each x3-4 ornaments each = alot of tying for me today. and ch was spray paitning all this eucalyptus silver. it's terrible, we have no ventalation in our flower shop. we burn candles when we spray, but there aren't alot of other options other than spray before we leave at night. and usally flowers need more than one coat.

so ch is out making a delivery, and i spray another set of eucalyptus in the rose box we have as our little spray booth. our vase shipment comes and i'm checking them in. the candle is burning on the counter in front of the vases, between some alocatia. i don't wanna set the shelves on fire, or the alocatia, or the box of vases. so i pick up the block of foam with the candles in it, and wave it around, trying to find some place to set it where it's near the eucalyptus but won't set my skirt on fire. this is so stupid i hate to admit it, but i haven't gotten much sleep lately, and so i've been making poor decisions, like wondering if i can just set the foam in the box somehow... as soon as the candles get near the box, the fumes from the spraypaint ignite in a huge ball of flame.

i drop the candles onto the eucalyptus and back away, patting out the back of my hands, my face, my hair. i'm very upset by the fire being between me and the fire extinguisher. but by the time i'm sure i'm all out, the fire in the box is out, too. luckily just the fumes caught, not the eucalyptus or the foam or the cardboard box. i had visions of the sprinklers coming on, the sears tower being evacuated, all because of my stupidity...

but i smell AWFUL, all burnt hair. i burn off the hairs on the back of my hands and the fuzzys on the one side of my hairline. my eyebrows are a little curly in the middle, as are my mustache hairs. i think i'm missing some dread tips, too, but i haven't taken my hair down yet and inspected it. luckily, it was out so fast i think i only have burns on my left hand... i don't think it's going to blister, just be a little red and sore for a few days.

still, a little scary! why me? i have such bad luck with fire- i hate it so! in other news, i have too much work due tomorrow to be blogging. but a week from tomorrow classes will be over. dad's xmas gift came today- it was supposed to be shipped to my house, but ups won't leave it unless there's a breathing person there. so i had it shipped to work. it's a 20lb stereo reciver- what a bitch to lug home! but i plugged in my turntable and it sonds good... well, except that apparently the left speaker cord for my turntable is broken. and it's so big it barely balances on top. and it still doesn't have a dust cover. ugh. there's no such thing as a perfect system. i just have to remember to turn the speakers WAY down whenever i switch from turntable to ipod!

No comments: