12.12.05

rent/snow/scarf

so, it's pretty sad. you look back on the past 2 weeks of blogging, and there are no stories. all it is is whining. usally about really boring stuff, like schoolwork. no wonder my comments are so few and far between. (thanks jamie!) the problem is i keep blogging in my head, all these fabulous blogs, or at least interesting thoughts, and i never get around to typing them up. but i have some SERIOUS procrastination to do tonight, so i thought now would be a good time to revisit those blog entries that were never written. of course, in a more conscise, less inspired manner. isn't that how it always works?

1. rent
rememeber last week when i watched rent and was a little ashamed at how much i loved it? i want to say it's because it reflects my life. i certainly believe in bohemian values, and am wild, urban, and liberal enough to pass. I had such a fabulous time when ruth was living in nürnberg with tobi and katya, and they were the epitome of bohemians in their 4th floor walk up under the slopey ceilings with no cabinets in their kitchen, enormous stacks of newspapers for furnature and complex instructions for making the stove and the shower work. but alas, though i will always have fabulous bohemian friends, i will never really be one myself. i like being rich. i love the stability of a lease- it brings me comfort. i will sell out to the Man (i work in the sears tower, for god's sake!) if it means i can buy organic produce and don't have to dumpster dive. i love my brightly colored furnature. my home brings me alot of joy, and my closet- please! then there's the electronics dad sends me every xmas... really, i'm a yuppie. i'm trying to be ok with that. luckily, most if not all of my friends are bohemians, so that makes me feel rich in comparison, even though on the grand scheme of young white americans, i'm really not that up there. but i have an apartment full of new things- lovely things, bought at hip and happening places. consumerwise, what more could i want?


2. snow
we have lots of it- and more everyday. the big storm last thursday dropped about 9 inches on us, then we got 2 more on friday and another on saturday and a little more last night. and i love it. i love being out in it- it's an exiting mystery world, the everyday is transformed into something quiet, beautiful, magical. there's this sense of community- everyone's so friendly, the bonding of all being chicagoians, out in this crazy weather together. on my way to my night class, the snow was falling so hard the tracks completely covered between trains. i love the icicles hanging down from the front of the cars as the train appears through the mist, lighting and sparking up the darkness. i love being in the warm train car, clickety clacking through the beautiful falling snow on the lovely urban world.
of course, i also love lying in my warm bed, thanks to my lovely radiator heat, and watching it out my balcony windows. i can see the sky and the brick wall of my neighbors, and i could watch the snow blow by and collect in their windowsills all day. i guess cause i don't have to drive in it or shovel it, i'm free to love it. and i love everything about it, when it's happening. even the grey stuff in the streets- before it's salted it's so soft and slippery- a lovely gentle color before the black of weeks later. it reminds me of jane's fur. and of course i love it on the trees and in piles. it doesn't seem fair that its usally too cold to have sticking snow in chicago- no chances for snowballs or snowpeople. and of course, no hills. the same storm hit pa and mom went sledding with the dog on friday. perhaps there will still be snow there for christmas- that would be nice, living at the top of a mountain and all. of course, mom also broke her wrist while walking to the mailbox, so i guess there are hazards (a warning to you not to wear your stylish boots!)

3. scarf.
l knit me a scarf. it is red with multicolored bits. it is warm and fuzzy and the softest thing ever. i was certain it was lost in the mail, and did a major uturn from dejected to elated when i found it stuffed in my mailbox. noone but my mother has ever knit me anything. really, the love, it's incredible. i'm overwhelmed.

No comments: