1.4.05

not your average friday night

so, was planning on going through my typical emotional reaction to friday night. actually, i needed to work on my journal entries for creative nonfiction- i'm so far behind. but i thought i'd go up to belmont and get my ear pierced- the cartlidge, there's a cool spiral they have with 3 holes. so ch says this morning, what are you doing tonight? and i say, getting pierced. and he says, oh, well, do you wanna go out with me? and i say of course. i don't care if it's a night on the town or one drink upstairs, i'm all for it.
subject change, as this is organized by chronology not by plot: so i tell ch, i need to call my grandma, try to april fool her. what lie should i tell? he says, tell her you're getting married. and so a few hours later, i call up grandma and she's bowling so i leave a message on her machine, "hi grandma, it's caitlin, and i have so exciting news for you- my boss charles proposed to me this morning, and we're getting married! call me back for details!" ch just about fell off his stool when he heard it was HIM i was marrying! when g'ma called back i couldn't answer so she left the voice mail, "caity, it's grandma. were you april fooling me?? i hope not! call me back right away!" when i called back, she asked, "well, did it put any ideas in anyone's head?" no grandma. we're both gay. shh, don't tell.
so ch and i are like, where to go? and the jen porter lightbulb flashes. OH YES! she did indeed play at the gentry on halsted from 7.30-9.30 tonight- how perfect! so that's what we ended up doing. we went to charlie's ale house in andersonville, then he had to go home to walk johnny b's dog. in the meanwhile, i went to the amazing women and children first bookstore. my first time, can you believe it? all my faves were there, a plethora of young adult lesbian fiction. and more, of course. a book for a, a book for mom, a book for me. i do have to read some of them before giving them away, though. ch was afraid of missing the begining of jen, and so we took a cab. whee! we're turning past wrigley field when my phone starts playing 99 luftbalons- g. she's just calling to make plans for tomorrow morning. i'm gonna meet her 11 hours from now- nice. i'm so glad i had such a great place to be when she called. i had a "i'll show her" attitude, much better that my usual "woe is me" one.
jen was rockin, she took all sorts of awesome requests from the gay drunk guys. she played fuck and run from liz phair's exile in guyville for ch and fiona apple's paper bag for me. ah. always makes me thing of g. she played some great originals, and some of my fave strange piano songs- queen, pink floyd, madonna. lady marmalade, me and bobby mcgee. everyone needs to hear jen. and she knows ch and i- it makes us part of the family. i've seen her sporaticaly the past few years, but when we first heard about her ch went to hear her every thursday for like 3 months straight when she had a gig at gentry on state. we called him her stalker and wondered that she didn't get freaked out. but she's got more of a crowd now, i'm glad.
ch and i parted ways at clark, and he waited for the bus while i walked the final block to belmont. i decided to get the earring. the chick at the piercing parlor said it would be fine after drinking, but they couldn't do more than 2 holes at once. so i got one tonight and i'll get the other two in a few months. that's fine with me. one's good enough for now. a. called when i was filling out my health forms. i told her what i was doing and she says, "ahw, honey! are you ok?" and it made me feel so good to be known. i assured her it was a good time to punch holes in myself, and i'd call her back when it was over. it went fine, alex was the piercer, and he did my nose. they remember me from all my jewelry buying- and referals. (they probably remember the hot g i'm always with). it's a cozy feeling, it a kinda alternative way, to be recognized at your piercing parlor. i don't know if it was the drinking or what, but i didn't feel faint at all- amazing for me, and i was so greatful.
called a. back and talked to her the whole way home (minus the subway portion of my journey) she was totally stoned, and it made for a great combination. the slightly drunk me could babble on and on to the remincient hyper aware stoned her.
but i should go to bed now so i can stumble over to g's tomorrow to do those fucking paintings. grrrr. what's up with this having classes? i hope i can sleep well on my left side!

No comments: