2.1.05

brot kaufen

went to buy bread for breakfast first thing. not a positive german experience. ruth said to get volkornbrot, and there were 2 kinds. i got the dinkelvolkornbrot, but need to look it up- i have no idea what dinkel is. the cashier asked that question i hate, the one where i can´t tell if she says " will that be all for zou today?" or "can i get you anything else?" (ruth has since taught me the trick to listen for noch etwas) so i can´t even answer yes or no. i have learned to say, "that´s all for me today, thank you" wich is an apropriate answer to all sorts of questions. so next she says, ein euro septzig. so i get out 2,60€ and give it to her. she looks at my coins, and then at me, and then gives me 90 cents back. septzig, caitlin, not sechzig! and do i look like such a clueless and scary american she doesn´t even say, "ya got 10cents more?"

No comments: