6.1.05

mein letzt tag

my last day. the anniversary of the great bombing of nürnberg. they opened some bunkers for the first time since the war, and we went on the tour. we got there early, but we still had to get tickets for the 2nd tour. so we went to a cute cafe and had a cup of coffee first. the bunkers are all through nürnberg- makes you wonder if the whole city will someday collapse into them. there was one just for art- the emperor's crown, scepter, apple, and 4th royal thing, and all the church windows. the one we toured was for the schoolchildren and different government offices. not particularly interesting, but i was able to apriciate ruth's superior translating skills. there was this british guy (my saying british guy confused tobi, as his german was very franconian, but is english was british, so there) who was also translating into english for this ethnic girl. he seemed to give longer more assured translations than ruth, so i tried listening to him, but he seemed to say the same thing in twice as many words. so i believed ruth really DID say everything necessary, she was just very concise about it. after that, we went out for lunch as i'd promised. it was hailing and gross, but we warmed up at enchilada, a mexican restaurant. how fun! they even had corn tortillas for ruth! cracks me up to be eating mexican food in germany. my spinat empeñadas were really good, though. we had to work, unfortunately, so we left the altstadt and went home. tobi was going back to neumarkt, so i said my goodbye to him. then ruth and i worked for a few hours- until i finished my paper. i sent a few more emails out, then packed my suitcases up and made more hommus for my next day's lunch.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Welcome back home, Caitlin! I didn't know when exactly you'd be back, but now I know.
You sure had an exciting trip and I loved reading about it on your blog. But I'm also excited about reading about your daily life in Chicago again.