1.1.05

wirklich fröhe weihnachten

we came home from church, and the opa came over for dinner and presents. i was very scared at how this would turn out, but it was a huge success. birgit kept saying i was in high form. I made a joke about it being the wine, which she kept repeating, but it was really a desire for communication. (sometime i will have to write about the difference between communication and conversation) the opa didn´t care about my german, and he waited for meike´s translation, cause he really wanted me to understand what he was saying. he talked about the jäg- the hunt. meike translated all sorts of things that would interest my uncle david about hunting licenses and deer population in germany. I did have some good jokes, and was able to get most of my points across in german. it made the gift exchange all sorts of fun. i got all sorts of wonderful gifts- kinderbücher in german, wolle to knit with. Meike gave me these really good chalk pastels and birgit gave me a new hot water bottle- from the top of my list! We ate lots of lovely plätchen (christmas cookies) and laughed a lot. certainly felt like christmas.
Vocabulary:
Schälen- to peel
Der Kamin- fireplace
Richen- to smell (like something)
Der Schlawiner- a clever, loveable joker

No comments: